The past few days have been quite trying to say the least and I was thinking about how you can care for yourself during these tense days. If you are wondering why I would even think about this, the way the world is set up (Kevin Hart voice) the 24-hour news cycles, are made to make you ruminate on negativity. This can lead to more stress for you and a general tiredness. On Tuesday I felt sooo tired, and each of my friends that I spoke to was tired. It was Tuesday at 1 pm. So to combat this I wanted to share 5 things that I do to take care of myself during a very tense time. I hope you like them, and please share your self-care tips in the comments below.
- Breathe – It may seem like a strange thing but breathe. I even have apps that I use to help me with that. My favorite one is called Proud. It is an app that is technically for planning (download it if you don’t have a planner) but it has a De-stress mode that will play tones as you take deep breaths and helps you to calm your mind and slow your heart rate down. I promise you will feel better. It is available in the app store.
- Plan – there is nothing worse for me than feeling stressed and not having any direction for my day. Usually, when I am in this space I don’t keep track of things well so before I log off of work, I set alarms on my cell phone for the next day’s meetings. I also use my Erin Condren Life Planner to see what my day and week are looking like. This way I can keep some semblance of order in my life, no matter how messy it is.
- Disconnect – I put aside 2 hours before bed to disconnect from all news and social media. This will help me to not get riled up by whatever new news story is out. It is also a good time for you to focus on yourself and family.
- Take care of me – if it’s a nice bath with a Lush bath bomb (Tisty Tosty is my fave) or singing my favorite song in the shower that will take me away faster than any Calgon commercial. A face mask or just taking a moment in the bathroom to get some peace will help you to recenter and be ready for the next day. ex: I love Sephora’s face masks but if you are looking for a diy option, egg whites, lemon and honey make for a great mask). Or go to the spa. I loved this water feature at Spa 66 in Fort Lauderdale. Enjoy for a moment.
- Laugh – we all need to laugh. I keep a funny show or comedian available on my phone or added to my Netflix list. One of my new faves is Drew Lynch he and his dog Stella keep me smiling on YouTube. If YouTube is not for you Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is hilarious, Season 3 episode 1, 2, and 8 will have you in stitches in no time.
I am sharing this info with you because I believe that joy is within reach no matter how crazy the world is. We have to seek it out and hold it tight. I hope these examples of self-care are helpful to you and help you remove just a little tension from your day.