Some people cannot imagine traveling alone, but it can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life! I went to Paris and London alone and I will tell you, while I arrived alone on the trip, I was able to meet new, incredible people and had the time of my life! So if you can’t imagine doing such a thing, this is the post for you!
Here are some ideas on how to make solo travel, the world’s best way to travel:
- Plan, Plan, Plan: This blog has reviews of great places to visit but if you want a broader view, IG and TripAdvisor are my favorite sources for info on various places around the world. Search hashtags for your potential destination and people will have tagged amazing places they have enjoyed. Save those and then look the details up on TripAdvisor!
- Plan not to be alone:
- Use your network: You know where you are going, now mention to friends where you are headed! My first trip to Paris, I was linked up with a friend’s mutual friend and I had a great time meeting up with them for drinks and a tour of the city. Your network expands farther than you might think!
- Meetup.com: If your network is tiny, then use the internet. Meetup is a great way to find people that want to do what you are interested in. If you wanted to go to a museum and you weren’t into doing it alone, there are meetups for that.
- Viator.com: I love to tour places and Viator has great tours to must-see sites all over the world! They are well planned and even if you are solo, it’s the tour guides job to make sure everyone has a good time, so be buddies with them and you will definitely make friends with others on your tour!
- Be open: while you are touring, people will ask you to get a drink or a meal. Make a friend, but tell someone before you go, cuz girl…the killer lives (that may not have helped LOL)
- Stay in a VRBO or Airbnb: A lot of these are run by locals and they are very open to sharing places you can go visit or the may even be open to going somewhere with you. Make friends with them and you can see something cool and not touristy.
We now have an awesome plan for you to travel solo.
Here are a few things you can do now to get comfortable with the idea of solo travel:
- Get comfortable with you. Try to take some extra “me” time if you are always around others and free yourself from distractions. A Netflix binge will not help you accomplish this goal. Maybe try going to a park or somewhere you can escape and enjoy your own thoughts and company.
- Grab a table for 1: Try breakfast in a restaurant first, if you have never eaten alone. I happen to love eating alone, but for 1st timers here is my reasoning: there are more business people eating alone at breakfast, so you may feel less awkward. Grab a book and a table for one. You can do it!
- Go see a movie alone. This is my favorite thing to do! On a random weekday, go see a movie you are dying to see. There are very few people in the theater midweek and you may feel more comfortable then. It has become something I look forward to doing a couple times a year by myself.
- Grab a room at your favorite hotel for a day of pampering. I love going to the W for a day of pampering, great restaurants, and cool bars. Find a hotel you like and make the best of it. The staff will be very nice to you and you will have a micro travel experience in your hometown.
- One note, stay present. Cell phones can be a huge distraction. Try not to spend your whole time on the phone or on IG. Be in that moment and enjoy the experience.
Traveling alone teaches you a lot about yourself. It makes you value yourself and those around you more than ever before. I still apply these pointers to myself and when things get overwhelming I sneak off for a trip to regroup. So get ready…download a few books into your kindle, update a playlist or 3 and you will soon be a solo travel expert!